Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Anatomy of a Shot - Fresh Eggs and Bourbon



The concept. I shot this for Utata's Iron Photographer 107. These little challenges often put together unlikely elements - and I have fun trying to make a picture using them. For IP107, the elements were lens flare, eggs and alcohol. Right. I have a long term project on unorthodox still life images, so I figured, something with these elements will fit right in.
The process. I didn't previsualize this - just started with the lighting. I wanted to get a nice wrap around light for both the egg and the alcohol (found a neat shot glass lying around). So I placed a studio strobe behind a white sheet for some backlighting. A piece of black cardboard in front of that was my background. The subjects were to be placed on a glass top coffee table. I fired a few test shots with the egg, and then with the shot of bourbon. I figured the backlight plus some fill light from the front will be all I need.
 So far so good. The challenge now was to come up with some sort of lens flare that did not ruin the shot, and furthermore, added to it. Direct lens flare was out of the question - since the premise of this shot was a high contrast scene against a black background. So I looked through a set of filters I got wholesale at a garage sale. Among other useless stuff (red and blue filters, 'soft' filters) I also got this cheesy star-burst filter. I figured this can give me just the right amount of flare off the highlights. After firing a few shots - the problem became apparent - I just didn't have enough highlights to get my flare. I needed to get another source of light. The best solution would be a concentrated source of light (so I don't interfere with the existing lighting). Out came an SB-28 with a home made snout / grid combo. I sat it on the floor under the glass table, pointed up straight under the shot glass. Now there's flare, and as a nice bonus, the bottom of the egg sitting on top of the glass got a nice, amber color.
After getting the composition done (tried with one egg, two and then three), I placed my fill light behind me and fired another couple of shots. One additional problem arose: since the eggs were fresh off the fridge, they started to form condensation. While I liked the fresh 'look', I did not like the unsightly reflection from my fill light. To fix this, I moved the fill off the camera left, and put a reflector camera right. Making my best contortionist impression - holding the reflector in place with my left hand on the right hand side and bending to the ensemble's level, holding the camera with my right hand, I took the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment